This A-Z of licences/Permits provides the following key information:

• Details of the list of licences/permits issued by Government Departments, and Offices under their remit
• Links to online information, and
• Relevant contact details for further enquiries

For further enquiries regarding the licence/permit, please contact the relevant Unit/Office listed.

Click on the Letters below to access the list of licences beginning with that letter e.g. clicking on 'O' brings you to a list including: "Occasional Trading Permit"

A -  B -  C -  D -  E -  F -  G -  H -  I -  K -  L -  M -  N -  O -  P - Q-  S -  T -   V -  -   Z Website is an upcoming new licensing portal that will allow businesses to register and apply for licences they are obliged to have for trading purposes in a one-stop-shop thus reducing dramatically the amount of time in form filling required to comply with various licensing obligations. The development of is an ambitious and transformative initiative for how businesses and licensing bodies interact.

FAQs about

Building Control Management System

A Building Control Management System (BCMS) has been developed by local authorities, with support from the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government, which enables the electronic submission of Commencement Notices, Certificates of Compliance on Completion and all ancillary documents associated with these statutory requirements to local authorities.

Further information on online services

Please find link to additional information on the Citizens Information website regarding online services available in Ireland

Online forms

Useful Licences

Company Registrations

Title of Licence / PermitRelevant Department

Business Name Registration

Company Incorporation

Industrial & Provident Society Filings & Registration

Limited Partnership Registration

Companies Registration Office


Title of Licence / Permit 

Relevant Department 

Registration and Renewal in the following areas:
Guesthouses, Holiday Homes
Hostels and Youth Hostels
Caravan and Camping Parks
Holiday Camps

Fáilte Ireland (The National Tourism Development Authority)



Title of Licence / Permit

Relevant Department

Auto-Fuel Trader's Licence


Community Licence (Road Haulage)

Community Licence (Road Passenger)

Road Transport Operator Licencing Unit

Digital Tachograph cards – Driver Card (includes renewal and replacement cards)

Road Safety Authority

Dispatch Operator licence

National Transport Authority

Driver CPC (card)

Road Safety Authority

Occasional International (including cross-border) Transport Services For Passengers (EU Journey Forms under EU Regulation 1073/2009)

Regular International (including cross-border) Transport Services for Passengers (EU Authorisations under EU Regulation 1073/2009)

National Transport Authority

International Road Haulage Operator’s LicenceRoad Transport Operator Licencing Unit
International Road Passenger Transport Operator’s LicenceRoad Transport Operator Licencing Unit
National Road Haulage Operator’s LicenceRoad Safety Authority
Public Bus Passenger Service Licence under the Public Transport Regulation Act 2009National Transport Authority
Small public service vehicle (SPSV) licenceNational Transport Authority


Title of Licence / PermitRelevant Department  

Retailers Off Licence


Wine Retailer's Off Licence

Beer Retailer's Off Licence

Spirit Retailer's Off Licence

Cider Retailer's Off Licence

Sweets Retailer's Off Licence

Beer Retailer's On Licence (Ordinary)Revenue
Cider Retailer's On LicenceRevenue
Club Certificate - Application for Declaration as to Suitability of Proposed Registered Club PremisesCourt Services
Club Certificate - Club AuthorisationCourt Services
Club Certificate - Club LicenceCourt Services
Club Certificate - Renewal of Certificate of RegistrationCourt Services
Dance Licence - Annual Dance Licence - Licenced PremisesCourt Services
Hotel Licence - Application to have a Public Bar in Hotel (Section 19)Court Services
Hotel Licence - Hotel Licence with Public BarCourt Services
Manufacturer's Licence - BrewerRevenue
Manufacturer's Licence - Cider ManufacturerRevenue
Manufacturer's Licence - Compounder of SpiritsRevenue
Manufacturer's Licence - Distiller of SpiritsRevenue
Marked Fuel Trader's LicenceRevenue
Methylated Spirits Retailer's LicenceRevenue
Publican's Licence (6-Day & Early Closing)Revenue
Publican's Licence (6-Day & Early Closing) - Application for Declaration as to Suitability of Licensed Premises for Full Restaurant CertificateCourt Services
Publican's Licence (6-Day)Revenue
Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary)Revenue
Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) - Application for Declaration as to Suitability of Licensed Premises for Full Restaurant CertificateCourt Services
Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) - Application for Declaration as to Suitability of Licensed Premises for Limited Restaurant CertificateCourt Services
Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) - Declaration as to Suitability of Licensed premises 7 dayCourt Services
Publican's Licence (Early Closing)Revenue
Publican's Licence (Ordinary) Hotel - 1902 Act (Public Bar)Revenue
Publican's Licence (Ordinary) Hotel - 1902 Act. (Resident's Bar)Revenue
Publican's Licence (Ordinary) Hotel - BF - 1902 Act (Public Bar)Revenue
Publican's Licence (Ordinary) Hotel - BF - 1902 Act (Resident's Bar)Revenue
Restaurant Licence - Restaurant CertificateCourt Services
Special Restaurant LicenceRevenue
Spirits Retailer's On LicenceRevenue
Wholesale Dealer of Beer - Whole Sale Dealer in BeerCourt Services
Wine Retailer's On LicenceRevenue

Private Security

Title of Licence / PermitRelevant Department                  

Security Guard (Static) 

Door Supervisor (Licensed Premises)


The Private Security Authority

Door Supervisor (Event Security) 

Door Supervisor (Licensed Premises)

Security Guard (Event Security)

Security Guard (Static)

Security Guard (Alarm Monitoring)

Security Guard (CCTV Monitoring)

Access Control (Installation and Maintenance)

CCTV (Installation and Maintenance)

Intruder Alarm (Installation and Maintenance)


Private Investigators


The Private Security Authority


Title of Licence / PermitRelevant Department

Auctioneers Licence

Estate Agents Licence

Property Services Registration Authority (PSRA)

Employment Agency LicencesWorkplace Relations Commission
Employment PermitsEmployment Permits Online
Electronic Tax Clearance (eTC)Revenue


Trade Marks



Patents Office
Music and Singing Licence - Public Music and Singing LicenceCourt Services
Occasional Trading LicenceDepartment of Business, Enterprise & Innovation
Supply/Rent Video/DVD LicenceIrish Film & Classification Office (IFCO)

*Updates in progress