General Construction Services
The following is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authority listed below.
SOLAS is the designated authority for regulated occupations in construction under the Recognition of Professional Qualifications (2005/36/EC) Regulations 2008, S.I. 139 of 2008.
Within SOLAS, the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Unit are responsible for processing applications for recognition of qualifications under the Recognition of Professional Qualifications (2005/36/EC) Regulations 2008.
Procedures for recognition of professional qualifications for providing construction services in Ireland
Applications for recognition of a person’s qualifications must be submitted along with the required documents to SOLAS. Applications are then processed and applicants who meet the requirements may then apply for the relevant registration card, allowing them to work within their sector.
Information on fees and documentation to be submitted
Currently the fee is €25* for the registration card.
Documents to be submitted include:
• Proof of nationality and legal establishment in an EU Member State
• Evidence of professional qualification (Copies of certificates - essential documents to be translated into English)
• Where the Profession is not regulated in the applicants home State, proof that the person has practiced the same profession/occupation for at least two years in the last ten years in their home state
• Completed application form.
* Correct as of April 2018
Completing procedures online
The relevant application form and documentation can be scanned and emailed to SOLAS.
Please find below relevant links for further information:
Providing cross border construction services in Ireland
The following provides general information on the procedures for construction workers established in other EU countries , intending providing cross border construction services in Ireland. All further queries should be directed to the competent authority, SOLAS.
The requirements for individuals intending to provide their professional services on a temporary or occasional basis in the construction industry in Ireland are as follows:
1. The applicant must be legally established in another EU Member State
2. The applicant must possess a relevant qualification
3. Where the profession is not regulated in the home state, they must have a minimum of two years’ experience in the last ten years working in their home state in the same profession.
4. The applicant must not be prohibited from practicing their profession in their established state
5. They must submit a signed declaration to the host State Designated Authority, (SOLAS) before starting work and every year thereafter.
Documents to be submitted to SOLAS
a) Proof of nationality and legal establishment in an EU Member State.
b) Proof that they are not prohibited from carrying out their profession.
c) Evidence of professional qualification (Copies of certificates - essential documents to be translated into English)
d) Proof that the person practiced the same profession/occupation for at least two years in the last ten years in their home state.
e) Signed Declaration
List of regulated tasks/occupations included in CSCS & QSCS
|Construction, CSCS||Quarries, QSCS|
|Scaffolding - Basic||180° Excavator operation|
|Scaffolding -Advanced||360° Excavator operation|
|Mobile Tower scaffold||Mini Digger operation|
|Tower Crane operation||Tractor & Dozer operation|
|Self-erecting tower crane operation||Front End Loader operation|
|Telescopic Handler operation||Telescopic Handler operation|
|Tractor/Dozer operation||Mobile Crane operation|
|Mobile Crane operation||Crawler Crane operation|
|Crawler Crane operation||Articulated Dumper operation|
|Articulated Dumper operation||Rigid Dump Truck operation|
|Site Dumper operation||Site Dumper operation|
|180° excavator operation||Shotfiring|
|Mini-digger operation||Explosives Supervision & Storekeeping|
|360° Excavator operation|
|Roof and wall cladding/sheeting|
|Built-up roof felting|
|Signing, lighting and quarding on roads|
|Locating under-ground services|
|Assisting Health and Safety at Roadworks|
Inclusive of such other construction/ quarrying-related tasks as may be prescribed by the Minister
Relevant legislation applicable
- The Recognition of Professional Qualifications (2005/36/EC) Regulations 2008, S.I. 139 of 2008
- Safety Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013, S.I. 291 of 2013
- Safety Health and Welfare at Work (Quarries) Regulations 2008, S.I. 28 of 2008
SOLAS - The Further Education and Training Authority,
Tel: +353 (0)1 533 2500