Cross Border Services: Heating and Plumbing Work

The following is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authorities listed below.

Detailed below is an overview of the administrative procedures involved for a contractor established in another EU country, intending to provide cross border services in Ireland specialising in heating, air conditioning, and plumbing work.

Procedures required for a Contractor specialising in heating, air conditioning and plumbing work

To undertake work in heating, air conditioning, and plumbing in Ireland, may require that staff are already certified to carry out such work in their EU country.

Please find  further relevant information on the procedures required.

Heating:  Gas installation

Air conditioning

A qualified contractor based in another EU country but working short term in Ireland, would be required to comply with the following procedures: 

  •  Provide proof of qualifications in refrigeration and air conditioning equivalent to National Craft Certificate level in Ireland 
  • The Contractor/Company must be FGas compliant (EC Regulation 303/2008).

An EU contractor can contact the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) to obtain recognition of their professional qualifications in refrigeration and airconditioning installation .


While there is no requirement for a licence to work in plumbing in Ireland, it is a matter for the employer to ensure that the staff are suitably qualified to carry out this work.

Posting of workers

If sending staff based in an EU country to work short term in Ireland, it is important to be aware of the procedures regarding the posting of workers.

The competent authority for providing information on posting of workers is the  Work Place Relations website.

Please find link below to relevant information on procedures concerning the posting of workers.

Posting of workers

Further information

Please find relevant link below to additional information on the procedures required when providing cross border services in Ireland. ( e.g. taxation).

Temporary/Cross border provision of services