The following is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authorities listed below.
Waste Collection Permits
Any person who proposes to collect waste for the purposes of reward, with a view to profit or otherwise, in the course of business is required to hold a Waste Collection Permit in accordance with Section 34 of the Waste Management Act 1996.
Offaly County Council was designated as the nominated authority for the processing of all new waste collection permits and review applications with effect from 1st February 2012. This single nominated authority is known as the National Waste Collection Permit Office (NWCPO). Further details of the process involved may be found at the following link http://www.nwcpo.ie/
Waste Disposal and Recovery
Waste disposal and recovery activities in Ireland are required to hold an authorisation in accordance with the Waste Management Acts, 1996 to 2012.
A four tier system of authorisation has been established for the regulation of such activities at a facility. A waste recovery or disposal activity at a facility is either:
- an exempted activity (no authorisation required), or
- requires a Waste (or IPPC) licence, or
- requires a Waste Facility Permit, or
- requires a Waste Certificate of Registration / Registration Certificate
Depending on the authorisation required these activities are controlled either by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or by Local Authorities within their own areas. All non-exempted Local Authority waste facility activities are regulated by the EPA.
The principal legislative texts governing the form of authorisation required for waste facilities are:
- Waste Management (Licensing) Regulations 2004 (S.I. No. 395 of 2004) as amended
- Waste Management (Facility Permit & Registration) Regulations 2007 (S.I. No. 821 of 2007) as amended
Waste stream specific regulation is articulated in:
- Waste Management (WEEE) Regulations 2005 (S.I. No. 340 of 2005) as amended
- Waste Management (Tyres and Waste Tyres) Regulations 2007 (S.I. No. 664 of 2007)
Waste disposal or recovery activities at IPPC installations are regulated by an EPA Licence under the EPA (Licensing) Regulations 1994 (S.I. No. 85 of 1994) as amended. Find out more about IPPC Licensing.
An overview of the authorisation systems can be found here http://www.epa.ie/licensing/licques/