Electrician and Electrical Works
Safe Electric, the statutory regulatory scheme for electrical contractors is operated by the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI) on behalf of the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU).
If an individual or company intends to carry out electrical work in a domestic setting, they must, by law, register with Safe Electric.
To register with Safe Electric you will need to complete the following steps.
- Complete the Application for Registration Form
- Obtain a copy of your nominated Qualified Certifier’s recognised electrical qualifications, – a National Craft Certificate (Electrical) or another suitable award, equivalent to Level 6 or higher on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Provide a copy of your nominated Qualified Certifier’s certification of the successfully completed “Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations” Course (V&C Course). The Certificate is valid for 5 years. (examples can be found here)
- Fully completion of Certificate of Insurance Form, fullfiled, stamped and signed by the insurance company or insurance broker.
- Send all four documents in email to firstname.lastname@example.org (In case of the Application Form please print the form, fill in, sign and scan) or via post to Safe Electric, Unit 9 KCR Ind. Est., Ravensdale Park, Kimmage, Dublin 12.
- Pay the application fee of €75 by credit card over the telephone.
Only full and complete applications will be processed. Safe Electric advise there processing times for applications is 15 working days.
Further information on the registration process is available on Safe Electric, here.
Providing Cross Border Services as an electrical contractor
It is a legal requirement for electrical contractors undertaking electrical works in a domestic setting (excluding minor electrical works) to be registered with the Electrical Safety Supervisory Body.
As such it does not matter if the installer/contractor is working in the short or long term it is still a legal requirement.
Completing procedures online
The registration process for electrical work/gas installation can now be completed via email, applicants are required to print and sign the document and send a digital copy of the signed document to the competent authority. The renewal of registration can also be completed via email. Further details are available on the above websites listed above.
Please find contact details for the relevant bodies in the links below.
• The Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (Safe Electric)
Telephone: +353 1 492 9966
The above is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authorities listed.