How do I register as an electrician in Ireland?

If you have completed a qualification outside Ireland, you should have it assessed in order to gain employment in Ireland. To do this, you will need to contact Quality and Qualifications Ireland, the Irish Centre for the recognition of qualifications.

Furthermore, If an individual or company intends to carry out electrical work in a domestic setting, they must, by law, register with Safe Electric. Safe Electric is the statutory regulatory scheme for electrical contractors is operated by the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI) on behalf of the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU).

To apply for membership with Safe Electric, you are required to input the registration form, along with your recognised electrical qualifications, certification of the completed ‘verification and certification of electrical installations’ course and a certificate of insurance form. These can be submitted by post or email. Further information on contact details, fees and application timelines are available on their website, here.

I am considering opening a café or food business, what information do I need?

When opening a food service business in Ireland (e.g. café/restaurant), businesses are required to comply with the following:


In the case of service premises such as restaurants, cafes, or take-aways, the agency to register with is the local Environmental Health Office (EHO) of the Health Service Executive (HSE). Each business should contact the EHO office directly for further information on the registration procedures required.

Further Information:

Supporting SMEs online tool - Financial and information supports
Local Authorities Ireland - Information on tourism supports, fire safety, business rates and planning.
Food Safety Authority Ireland - Food safety specific information supports and training.
Revenue - Initiatives for start-up businesses
Permission to play music in an establishment

I would like to make a change to my premises/building (Planning Permission and Commencement Notices)

Generally, you need to apply for planning permission for any development of land or property. This includes building, demolition, or alterations on land or buildings, and the making of a material (i.e. significant) change of use of land or buildings. However, there are some works that do not need planning permission and are called exempted development, you should speak with your local authority to determine if it is required of your project.
Once you have planning permission and before you start building there are forms that you will need to send in to your local authority. Depending on what you are building, you may need to send your local authority a Commencement Notice.
Commencement Notice
The purpose of a Commencement Notice is to notify the relevant building control authority that a person intends to carry out either building works or a material change of use to a building to which the Building Regulations apply. The notice must be given to the authority not more than 28 days and not less than 14 days before the commencement of works or the change of use. Once validated by the building control authority, works must commence on site within the 28-day period.
When is a commencement notice is required?
· All works which require planning permission
· The erection of a building
· The material alteration or extension to a building
· A material change of use
· Works that are in connection with a material alteration to a building.
These requirements are set out in Section 6 of the Building Control Act 1991 (Number 3 of 1991). The process is set out in Part II of the Building Control Regulations 1997 – 2014. Both the Act and the Regulations can be found on www.irishstatutebook.ie.
Fire Safety Certificates
A Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) shows that adequate escape facilities are present in a building and that the building is designed in a way that prevents and limits the spread of a fire. All buildings must comply with Part B (Fire) of the Building Regulations 1997 - 2010.
Building Control Management System
A Building Control Management System (BCMS) has been developed by local authorities, with support from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government, which enables the electronic submission of Commencement Notices, Certificates of Compliance on Completion and all associated documents to local authorities.
The fee for submitting a commencement notice via the BCMS is currently €30 per building/unit.
Further Information
Local Authority – contact information
Building Control Management System

What steps are involved in opening a Bed and Breakfast?
To establish a Bed & Breakfast in Ireland you will have to comply with planning legislation, with regards fire safety and local building regulations. You will also have to be compliant with food legislation and health & safety regulations.
While you may not be physically altering your premises, you may be required to obtain planning permission to change the use of your property. To query about your individual circumstance contact your Local Authority.
Fáilte Ireland, under the Tourist Traffic Acts 1939-2003, has specific powers and functions in relation to the registration, approval and grading of tourist accommodation. They carry out this function by setting the requirements for the various categories of Bed and Breakfasts and through processes for the regular monitoring of the standards in all forms of approved accommodation.
Fáilte Ireland – Bed and Breakfast approval and classification requirements
Building Control Management System
Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 requires that all food businesses must be registered with the supervising competent authority; in the case of Bed and Breakfasts, this is done through the local environmental health office. Please find their contact details here.
Business owners are responsible for the safe handling, preparation and traceability of all food hygiene matters that relate to their business.
If you intend to serve alcohol as part of your Bed and Breakfast, you will need to obtain an appropriate licence from Revenue.

What type of licence do I need to serve alcohol?
The type of business you are operating determines the type of alcohol licence you will need. As there are numerous licences, if you have difficulty determining which one is suitable, please contact the National Excise Licence Office (under the remit of Revenue) to discuss your individual needs. Email: exciselicences@revenue.ie or by telephone: +353 1 738 3640.
Listed below are some of the more common licences available. Further information is available through the links to the Revenue website.
Publican Licence
A Publican’s Licence allows the holder to sell alcohol for consumption both on and off their premises. It will not be granted for any premises where it is intended to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises only.
Hotel Licence
A Hotel Licence is a conditional Publican’s Licence which allows the sale of alcohol in hotels.
Retailer’s Off Licence
A Retailer's Off Licence allows the sale of alcohol in small quantities in closed containers for consumption off the premises.
Special Restaurant Licence
The holder of a Special Restaurant Licence is entitled to sell all types of alcohol for consumption in their restaurant to certain limits.