Providing cross border services as an Architect
The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) is the Competent Authority for Architects in Ireland.
To use the title architect in Ireland you must be included on the statutory Register for Architects. Admission to the register requires compliance with the Building Control Act 2007 which transposes the Professional Qualifications Directive (2005/36/EC). The register is published on the RIAI's website at register of architects.
Application for recognition (temporary and occasional/cross border provision of services as an Architect)
EU/EEA nationals currently established in an EU/EEA Member State seeking recognition for the provision of services on a temporary and occasional basis (Chapter 1, Title II of Directive 2005/36/EC) can apply directly to the RIAI for recognition under Route D3.
Information on fees and documentation to be submitted
There is no charge for making an application for admission under this route.
All applicants must submit:
- Declaration of intention to provide services under the title ‘Architect’ in the State
- Evidence of Identity and of EU/EEA Nationality (Copy of Passport/National ID)
- Attestation confirming legal establishment provided by the Competent Authority in the Member State of establishment
- Evidence of relevant professional qualifications (e.g. copy of degree/diploma in architecture)
Those who have moved from the Member State of establishment must submit
- Evidence of having pursued the profession of architect in the Member State of establishment for two of the previous ten years
Completing procedures online
Documents which are not required in the original format can be submitted online via email.
Verifications from educational institutions and Competent Authorities may be provided online, once they are issued directly to the RIAI by the provider in question.
The relevant procedures applicable for EU established Architects, intending providing cross border services in Ireland, is set out in the following Irish legislation:
Telephone: +353 1 676 1703
The above is for general information purposes only. All queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authority, The Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland.