Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Cross Border Services: Heating and Plumbing Work

Detailed below is an overview of the administrative procedures involved for a contractor established in another EU country, intending to provide cross border services in Ireland specialising in heating, air conditioning, and plumbing work.

Procedures required for a Contractor specialising in heating, air conditioning or plumbing work

Undertaking work in heating, air conditioning or plumbing in Ireland, may require that staff are already certified to carry out such work in their EU country.

Heating or Gas Installation

The licensed regulatory bodies for individuals or companies carrying out electrical work in Ireland are the following:

Safe Electric: Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland
RGI- Registered Gas Installer

See further information here.

Air conditioning

A qualified contractor based in another EU country but working short term in Ireland, would be required to comply with the following procedures: 

  • Provide proof of qualifications in refrigeration and air conditioning equivalent to National Craft Certificate level in Ireland. 
  • The Contractor/Company must be F-gas compliant. For further information on F-gases, please see here.

An EU contractor can contact the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) to obtain recognition of their professional qualifications in refrigeration and air-conditioning installation .


While there is no requirement for a licence to work in plumbing in Ireland, it is a matter for the employer to ensure that the staff are suitably qualified to carry out this work.

Posting of workers

If sending staff based in an EU country to work short term in Ireland, it is important to be aware of the procedures regarding the posting of workers.

The competent authority for providing information on posting of workers is the Workplace Relations.

Please find link below to relevant information on procedures concerning the posting of workers.

Posting of workers

Further information

F-Gas Information

F-Gas Registration

Temporary/Cross-Border Provision of Services


The above is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authorities listed.