Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Environmental Protection Agency (Radiological Protection)

Competent Authority

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is the competent authority for radiological protection in Ireland. Any company or individual wishing to use sources of ionising radiation such as in industry, medicine, dentistry, veterinary and education can only do so under authorisation or licence from. The new Regulations (IRR19) replace the licence based authorisation system (based on S.I. 125 of 2000) with a graded approach comprising both registration and licensing.
In Ireland, in order to legally carry out any practice involving the use of radioactive sources or equipment such as X-ray, which produces ionising radiation, it is necessary to obtain an authorisation (currently in the form of a license) in advance from the EPA, unless the practice has been specifically exempted. Before authorising a practice the EPA must assure itself that the practice itself has been justified, that the risks have been adequately assessed and that appropriate control measures are in place.
The new Regulation will provide for two forms of authorisation: registration and licensing. The form of authorisation, which will apply in given situation, will depend on the magnitude and likelihood of any exposures resulting from the practices and the impact that regulatory control may have in improving radiological safety. 

Further information and categories of Graded Authorisation can be found here.

Procedures for applying for Authorisation

Applications can be submitted online through the EDEN Portal.

Full details and a how-to video detailing the application process are available here.

Further information

If you are a business established in Ireland looking to use sources of ionising radiation in the provision of a service, you may obtain further information on the EPA’s website in the links below.

Contact details

Please find contact details for the Environmental Protection Agency here.


The above is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authorities listed.