Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Fitness Clubs, Sunbeds, Supplements

Procedures required for staff specialising in fitness training, beauty and sunbed treatments

To provide specialized services it is advisable that staff have completed a recognised course of study and training in order to carry out this work.

If the persons working at a fitness club are self-employed, it would be important to be aware of the procedures required for working as a self-employed person in Ireland.

Guidelines on the safe management of a gym or fitness room can be found in the HSA’s, Safe Hospitality guide (section 5.4).

Sunbed Treatments

The use of sunbeds (and tanning booths) in Ireland is regulated under The Public Health (Sunbeds) Act 2014, (No. 12 of 2014) through the Department of Health.

Business owners are required to be aware of the relevant provisions within the Act and are required to notify the Health Service Executive (HSE) when providing the use of a sunbed or when selling/hiring sunbeds. 

This notification process can be done through the online portal system.

Sunbed operators are required to notify the register of their operations annually before the 1st March and pay a fee of €120. 

Enquiries or complaints in relation to non-compliance can be directed to:

sunbeds@hse.ie or +353 91 737 350 or by post to Sunbed National Office, Environmental Health Service HSE, Galway Business Park, Dangan, Galway.

Selling Cosmetic Products

The Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) is the competent authority for the regulation of cosmetic products in Ireland.
Their aim is to ensure all cosmetics on the Irish market are safe and compliant with legal requirements. They identify and address cosmetic product safety issues, in conjunction with the HSE, so that a cosmetic product will not compromise the health and safety of the consumer or the user of a product. We have further information listed on the selling cosmetics section of the website.

Selling Nutritional Supplements and Beverages

Any food business that proposes to sell or distribute nutritional supplements and beverages is required to register their business with the relevant environmental health office of the HSE. Further information can be found with the Selling nutritional supplements and beverages section.

Further information

Becoming an employer / Hiring staff - Workplace Relations

Reps Ireland

Health and Safety Authority

Playing music in a business environment

Planning and Building requirements


The above is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authorities listed.