Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Recognition of Professional Qualifications

Recognition of Professional Qualifications in Ireland

Under EU Directive 2013/55/EU for Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications, provisions are made for EU citizens to have their professional qualifications obtained in one EU country recognised in other EU countries.

The Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science oversees the implementation of the EU Directive in Ireland and operates the Irish contact point to aid the mobility of professionals throughout Europe. 

If you require any further information you can email the contact point at: Qualifications@dfheris.gov.ie 

Enic-Naric Network

European Network of Information Centres (Enic) and National Academic Recognition Information Centres (Naric) were established to improve the recognition of qualifications and periods of study in European countries and beyond – thereby facilitating the mobility of workers, students, teachers and researchers.

QQI (Quality and Qualifications Ireland) hosts the Irish Enic-Naric centre. They provide:

  • Advice on the general academic recognition of qualifications gained outside of Ireland
  • Contact information for professional recognition bodies where professional recognition of a foreign qualification is required
  • Information on the Irish education and training system and promote the recognition of Irish qualifications abroad

You can visit the NARIC Ireland webpage for further information and advice on the academic recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland and details of how to contact them directly. 

European Professional Card (EPC)

The European Professional Card (EPC) is an electronic procedure you can use to have your professional EU qualifications recognized in other EU countries.
You can use the EPC procedure if you are:

A nurse responsible of general care
A pharmacist
A physiotherapist
A mountain guide
A real estate agent

To apply for an EPC, you will first need to sign in to Your Europe the European Commission authentication service, where you will need to create an account if you don’t have one already.
It will take a few minutes to complete your EPC profile with your personal information and contact details.
Once your profile information is complete, you can create an application, upload electronically scanned copies of the relevant documents and submit them to your home country authority.