Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Taxes and VAT

In Ireland, you must register for tax with Revenue when you:

  • become a sole trader
  • set up a trust
  • partnership
  • start a new company.

Registering online (eRegistration) is the fastest, cheapest and most efficient way of registering for tax.

If you submit a paper application when you should have submitted an online application, it will not be processed. The paper copy will be returned to you with an instruction to complete the registration process through ROS (Revenue Online Service).

Tax Registration Number

A Tax Registration Number (TRN) is issued by Revenue when you register for tax as a sole trader, trust, partnership or company.

You must use your TRN when trading and filing your tax returns as a sole trader, trust, partnership or company.


The eRegistration service allows customers and agents to manage their registrations online. Through eRegistration you can cancel your active registration for taxes and re-register for these taxes. This includes, Income Tax, Employer Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Environmental Levy, Value Added Tax (VAT), Relevant Contracts Tax (RCT).

Full details on the eRegistration process are available on the Revenue website, here.

VAT - Value Added Tax

Generally, you must register for VAT if you are an accountable person.

A person carrying out only exempt activities or non taxable activities may not register for VAT. However, a person carrying on exempt activities or non taxable activities may be have to register for VAT in certain situations, for example, acquiring goods from other Member States o receiving  services received from abroad.

Registration of a new business

If you have set up a business but have yet to supply taxable goods or services, you may reclaim VAT on your start-up costs. However, to do so you are required to register for VAT.

This will enable you to obtain credit for VAT on purchases made before trading begins.

Traders whose turnover is below the VAT thresholds, farmers and sea fishers are not generally obliged to register for VAT. They may, however, elect to register for VAT.

Further information on VAT, exemptions and thresholds can be found on the Revenue website, here.